Saturday, February 14, 2009

April

Day 3:
It was during my interview with Toshiba in Houston, TX last year. My phone kept ringing every now and then. Though I didn't recognize the number I was sure where the calls were from.
It’s a 100 mile drive from College Station to Houston. Just before setting off all dressed up to meet the people in Toshiba I sent this email to the head of a small but upcoming company in Chicago:
"My professor wants me to work on my thesis during the summer as there are some deadlines to be met. That, very unfortunately, makes me unavailable for the internship. Sorry about conveying this so late as I myself got a clear picture only today. I will call you up tomorrow to discuss this."

Day 2:
It was one of the happier days in my worst year ever. I got offers to intern from 2 companies (one being Intersil, the other an Austin, TX based company).
I pondered, "Tomorrow is the interview with Toshiba. The day after, I have to fly to Chicago for this other interview. Two days after that I have a paper submission deadline." No bad news here but I knew I was still going to get screwed.
I pondered more, "Do I really have to go all the way to Chicago? Can't I work on the paper instead? What do I tell him? The truth? No way. That will sound rude." I was running out of time and had to come up with something.

Day 1:
I get e-tickets to fly to Chicago for a short interview. Free flights are always fun. Just like free food.

Day 3:
After the Toshiba interview got over, I called back. Of course didn't have a pleasant conversation. He demanded I pay him for the ticket. He threatened to file a complaint with the Career Center at Texas A&M Univ! He was also going to speak to my prof!
“What’s going on! What have I gotten myself into!”
I rushed from Houston to College Station and met with the career center people just before closing time. Sent this later in the evening and didn't hear back:
"Sorry that the events had to turn out this way. Here's what really happened:
I got an offer from another company yesterday and I most probably will accept that. I was ignorant of the American system where I learnt (after talking to the Career Center at Texas A&M today) it’s perfectly okay to tell another employer of my offers from other companies. It certainly won't work that way in India and I was stuck to that mentality. Hence I cooked up a story that I will be unavailable for the summer as my professor had work for me.
It would have been very easy for me to come all the way to Chicago to attend the interview and then say no once/if I get an offer. I chose to call you to cancel the interview only with the intention to save your money and time.
I am copying the mail to my professor and the Career Center. I profusely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience."

Sorry India!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Somasundaram said...

Haha... I didn't know any of these had happened... Funny to think about all this now, that you're ensconced somewhere else? :)

The non-linear (almost reverse) presentation was interesting, reminded me of the Seinfeld episode :)

11:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

What was the reply from your Prof and Career Center?

8:49 PM

 
Blogger Anand said...

Didn't hear from the professor but got this from the career center...

"Howdy Anand!

This was a very nicely written explanation. If you have any other
questions about the job search process in America, please let us know.
We enjoy working with students as professional as you!

David"

I don't know if he was sarcastic!

8:53 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Career Center's reply to the company:

"We have severely punished the guy for what he has done. We will take care that no such things happen in the future"

9:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home